Sakhon was formerly called "Tha Chin" probably because, in the old
days, it had been a trading port dealing with a vast number of Chinese
junks. In 1548, a town named "Sakhon Buri" was established at the
mouth of the Tha Chin River. It was a centre for recruiting troops
from various seaside towns. The name of the town was changed into
"Mahachai" when Khlong (canal) Mahachai was dug in 1704 to join the
Tha Chin River at the town. Later, the town was renamed "Samut Sakhon"
by King Rama IV but it is still popularly called "Mahachai" by the
Samut Sakhon occupies a total area of 872 square
kilometres and is administratively divided into 3 districts: Muang
Samut Sakhon, Krathum Baen, and Ban Phaeo. It is a major fishing port
and also the biggest producer of brine salt.